Friday, September 18, 2009

magiclinique

Clinique print commercials are usually just beauty shots of their makeup, rather than of beautiful women wearing their makeup, did you ever notice that?



Mee likey!

I feel like their choice to put just their products in front of the camera is an over-arching statement about Clinique in general; that they're taking responsibility for what messages they're willing to put out into the world via their advertising. OK, now I'll slide my soapbox back under my bed...

Why I bring up Clinique?? Simple. Their eye-makeup remover.

I was very loyal to the Maybelline kind (especially after they fixed their lids from screw-tops to flip tops circa 2003, so that I didn't end up spilling half the bottle all over the bathroom) but then I had an unfortunately incident with waterproof mascara (I don't want to TALK about it) last week, and my roommate, sp8, let me use some of her Clinique.

Needless to say, I was skeptical, because I basically worshipped the Maybelline version (I have been using it since middle school, seriously) until I swiped the Clinique over my eyes and the felt the smooth combination of oil and water 100% dissolve the most stubborn waterproof mascara I had ever worn, right off my eyes!!!

No scrubbing, no burning, no nothin' but magic in a bottle.


The main difference, I assume, is that the Clinique kind I used was not oil free, while the Maybelline was. However, it didn't irritate my eyes in the least, as ones with oil usually do (Clinique is known for being gentle and all). They have a few different kinds of eye makeup removers, but this "purple" version is the most popular (read: best of the best).

Now, I did some math (yeah, that's right, I math) and the Clinique is twice as expensive as the Maybelline, at just over $4 per ounce vs. just over $2 per ounce. So, depending on your budget, (WWPPD) I could totally see using the Maybelline on an everyday basis and just keeping a small or travel size Clinique around for those really caked on morning-afters.

... And one little afterthought: make sure you're not using waterproof mascara EVERY day. There's no need... unless you have oddly moist (ew, does ANYone like that word?) peepers.

Waterproof mascara dries out your lashes, and as illustrated previously, is really hard to get off!! So you end up with it on for days on end- which is just a breeding ground for bacteria. Wear it to weddings, and to the beach if you're so inclined, but otherwise, steer clear!!

3 comments:

  1. Maybelline makes two versions: one for waterproof mascara, and an oil-free for non-waterproof. Have you tried both?

    ReplyDelete
  2. 'really caked on morning-afters' ... ewww.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahaha. zaven, tis true, we don't wake up as beautiful as we looked the night before. colleen boobs, i love YOU more! and bethie b, i HAVE tried both, but loved the maybelline oil-free waaay more than the pink oily one, versus just loving the clinique oily one... apples to oranges, true, but kinda like those crab apples that used to grow in our front yard vs. florida oranges, you know??

    ReplyDelete